Traffic conditions in real time
🚨 Special equipment required for ascent and descent.
Reminder: You must be equipped with four snow tyres, metal snow chains or socks to fit at least two drive wheels. Chains and socks are on sale in the resort, with a list of sellers further down the page.
Tips for a smooth climb
We've put together a few tips to make sure your journey goes as smoothly as possible!
- Don't forget your chains, remember to leave them accessible and, before you leave, try fitting them to your vehicle.
- Bring warm clothing, a torch and water.
- In the event of a traffic jam, do not leave your vehicle without being asked to do so by the police.
- We would remind you that it is forbidden to overtake snow-clearing vehicles when they are clearing snow.
Information will be relayed on the local radio station R' Val Thorens / Les Menuires (101.0 Mhz) and on France Bleu Pays de Savoie (103.9 Mhz).
Please note: from 1 November 2021, chains or winter tyres will be compulsory in mountainous areas.
To reduce road congestion in mountainous regions and improve road user safety, you must be fitted with winter tyres or carry chains in your boot during the winter months in certain municipalities. This obligation came into force on 1 November 2021.
To come to Val Thorens, light vehicles, commercial vehicles and motor homes must :
- carry metal or textile snow chains in their boot to equip at least two drive wheels; or
- be fitted with four winter tyres